Friday, January 14, 2011

Forney, Panthers growing

By Rex Kirts

After playing and practicing three sports almost non-stop, Joey Forney took a complete break from basketball and football last summer to concentrate on baseball.
Having first announced for a college Division I baseball scholarship for Duke, he switched to Xavier after Duke withdrew its offer. He played on the highly competitive and much-traveled Bulls team out of Indianapolis, and the opposition was tougher than regular high school teams
What did he learn?
"I definitely struggled," Forney said. "I had a pretty solid (spring high school) season and then started playing against great players. The speed of the game picked up.
"As far as pitching, my speed was perfect to hit home runs off of."
And he learned a valuable lesson in the importance of control.
"I HAD TO PLACE my breaking ball, which I hadn't had to do. When I'd get behind in the count and had to throw the ball down the middle, it would hop over the fence. It was brutal. I wasn't the best player around."
Now that he understands the requirements at higher levels, the experience is something Forney can build on.
But that's in the spring, when the snow leaves. At the moment he's trying to improve on the basketball court with the Panther team that's sailing along at 11-1.
"I need to play better on defense," he said. "I pride myself on that."
Forney had one memorable defensive effort this season, holding Jeremy Hollowell of Lawrence Central to five points. Hollowell is considered a Division I prospect.
In addition toperforming well on defense, he wants to anticipate passes better, rebound better, knock down open shots and get easy putbacks.
TO GET ALL THIS DONE, Forney has been in a catch-up mode this season because he didn't put in his usual time during the summer.
"Zero," he said.
Coach J.R. Holmes doesn't like his players to skip the summer, but Forney did some catching up in the fall open gyms, where he shot the ball well and got back into the roundball flow. That was helped along because he gave up football, where he was the quarterback. He did have a shining moment during the football season, being crowned homecoming king.
The Panthers, according to Forney, are "definitely growing. We still have some growing to do, on the defensive side and shooting for four quarters. That will come. We've just got to focus on the fundamentals."
Growing is something Forney did, especially after he got comfortable in the offense. He's averaging eight points a game and shooting 46 per cent from the floor. He's third on the team in rebounds behind Desmond Marks and Spencer Turner.
"I GAINED A LOT of confidence after the Jeffersonville and Carmel games," Forney said. "I feel I can score and help Dee (Davis) and Spencer."
He got aggressive and busted loose for 13 points in the fourth quarter against Carmel.
"I saw coach Holmes, and he was about to take the starters out (against Carmel), and I guess I got a little selfish and started jacking them up," he laughed.
Confidence was gained during open gyms, too. "I got in the groove," Forney said. "I had some open gyms where I almost amazed myself (with his shooting). I think that gave me a lot of confidence that I could step up and help Dee and Spencer.
"And Ben Stowell did, too. And Desmond."
UsuallyForney is seen with a smile, and he's clearly having fun on the court.
"I said my freshman year I was only playing basketball to have fun," he grinned. "I've been playing with these guys since I was a little kid. It's just fun to get out there and play."
There's fun in challenges the second half of the season. Like the first half, the schedule is full of several tough tests.